RE: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool

Subject: RE: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:02:09 -0700 (PDT)

I've been busy, but about the pricing issue:

Sounds like the pricing is sort of similar (except*),
maybe lower for WWP (perhaps much lower *).

Nobody pays $1295 for WWP. (That is, the UNIX folks do
pay more; is Mustang available on UNIX?) There is no
Earthly reason why you would need more seats of WWP
than you have of FrameMaker, and the upgrade price
from WWP SE that ships with FrameMaker is $950. So, at
most, WWP 2003 costs $950.

(I still don't understand why Quadralay doesn't just
set the price at $950--I suppose there is some
marketing reason tied to perceptions of upgrades from
WWP SE or something.)

*Then, I am curious to know how Mustang works in a
group of writers. That is--and I have caught some
friendly ribbing about saying this from Quadralay
folks in the past--if you have a workgroup of 10
authors writing in FrameMaker, IMHO you are best off
to use one (okay, maybe two ;?) seat of WWP 2003. Why?
Because you can and because it is efficient. That is,
as you need to create a help project, move your FM
book to the PC that has WWP 2003 and create your help.
By having one copy of WWP, you can prevent changes and
differences from creeping into your WWP templates. So,
I am curious to know whether Mustang permits that same
sort of workflow or if each of your 10 writers would
need Mustang. I won't know till somebody tells me on
list, but the potential is there for Mustang to cost
10 times what WWP costs, yes/no?

Finally, what is Adobe doing? Are they upgrading FM? I
know Quadralay is working with Adobe on some level, as
they continue to ship the standard edition of WWP with
FrameMaker. Is eHelp? Maybe somebody from Adobe
(right! <g>) etc. can comment on what needs to change
for the next version of FrameMaker--are these guys all
in tune with one another.

So, I come back to wondering, to what extent does
pricing matter? Will eHelp be super-aggressive, what
about support and first-version (and
subsequent-version) stability? Certainly, eHelp has
name recognition and maybe some FM+RoboHelp folks
going for them ....

Curiously yours on a very grey Friday,

Sean

--- "Ruiter, Vicki" <Vicki_Ruiter -at- sra -dot- com> wrote:

> Right now....RoboHelp for FrameMaker is $899 for the
> full version and $799
> for an upgrade from a previous version of RoboHelp
> (WebWorks is $1295). I
> think that the price is going up significantly at
> the end of the month. It
> looks like it's going to be $1599. It balances out,
> though, because
> WebWorks' subscription service is more expensive
> than eHelp's.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com