RE: Step-by-step instructions for a variable GUI?

Subject: RE: Step-by-step instructions for a variable GUI?
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:16:26 -0400

Connie...not if he's never done it before. I was going to say that it simply
sounded like a big project no matter how it's sliced.

>Horn 2: Our users need detailed, step-by-step instructions for every task
they can perform while using our software. They complain that we don't give
them enough step-by-step procedures, and they have amply demonstrated their
need for them over the years. Further, it is obvious that there is no such
>thing as too much hand holding or too great a level of detail.

Lately, I've been on a UML Use Case kick. The nice thing about UCs is that
it takes the most complex process and divides it into small, manageable,
single purpose chunks of processes that platform independent because it
takes the perspective of the intended behavior of the actor rather than with
what buttons to push.

Now, what I would do is create a specific use case for each of the specific
process, then cross reference them against a set of specific process
procedures to accomplish it on the specific platform. Example, in VERY
simplified form:

To Place an Order

1 Enter ID for validation
2 Enter Product Code
3 Enter Payment Method
4 Confirm receipt of order

For Windows procedure, click here
For PDA procedure, click here
For Kiosk procedure, click here.

John Posada
Information Hunter-Gatherer
Special Projects; Information Technology
Barnes&Noble.com
NY: 212-414-6656

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com