Importing and exporting XML files

Subject: Importing and exporting XML files
From: Pspubs -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:30:09 EDT

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this is an overworn topic, but I've looked in the
archives and don't see anything lately on this...

I've got a client who wants to import an XML file (a database) into
FrameMaker to publish it in an attractive format, then export it back to XML database
as needed. So here are some questions...

1. Will this work in regular FrameMaker 7.0, or is the SGML version needed?

2. Any tips on doing this? My first attempt to open an XML file in FrameMaker
failed -- FrameMaker didn't recognize the file and wanted to know how to open
it. I've read the FrameMaker help and was underwhelmed.

3. Is any third-party software especially helpful in importing or exporting
data?

4. Anything else important to know about this issue?

Thanks a bunch!

--Becky Scott
PS Publications
Lansing, Michigan