RE: RE: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis

Subject: RE: RE: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis
From: "techwr" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 01 Oct 2003 17:44:16 GMT

I love the plumber analogy, and have used it on a number of
occaisions with clients as I prepare proposals for their
bids. I point out to them that their plumber bids a fixed
price on a job, such as installing the piping for a shower,
but that they are expected to have the framing completed on
a specified date in order for the work to be done on time
and within budget, and if the plumber arrives on the
appointed date and the framing isn't ready, they still have
to pay the plumber for showing up on time and also pay for
the plumber to stand around waiting for framing or send the
plumber away and risk losing their time slot for the work.
What this translates into for a fixed price documentation
project is that specified access to information has to be
made available on time in order for writing to occur, that
when they receive a draft they are supposed to review and
return it within the period spec'd on my project schedule
and with only the contracted percentage of revisions called
for, and if they don't it'll cost extra or they may find
that their writer is tied up with another project for a
different client when they're only 3 weeks away from product
release. Or, they can just pay for a block of weeks and
hours and use their writer/plumber as if he's a regular
employee, trading off potential cost for idle time for
constant availability. So far, I'd say the balance is
about 70% opting to go hourly and only 30% going for
the per-project pricing. But I do seem to have a rather
high balance of clients whose development schedules are
diplomatically best described as "fluid."

Gene Kim-Eng