RE: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis

Subject: RE: Questions - Going from Hourly to Per Project Basis
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:01:05 -0700

On a bill toward project, I watch the time sheets and our schedule very
closely. I know where the writer(s) and/or illustrator(s) should be in the
project, according to the schedule. If we are at week 8 and should be close
to first draft and we are not, then we have a problem.

Since I have been cc-ed on all communications AND talk to my people, I
should know what the problem is. If it is on my side - i.e., the writer is
struggling with the concepts and needs help, I get them that help. It may
cost me, and is not part of the budget and will not be billed to the client,
but I get them the help.

If it is on the client side, then I talk to the client. I make it clear that
we have a problem and we need to fix it or we are not going to be in
budget/on time. I tell them as soon as I see it that there may be a problem.
I hate money surprises and assume clients do as well. I explain that we are
off track and may not be able to deliver what they want. I tell them
specifically what is needed to get this back on track. I avoid blame but I
do identify bottlenecks and suggest ways to cope with that.

Scope creep is the most easy to deal with. When we first define the scope of
the project, we define clearly the scope of the project. That means in
writing, detailing exactly what we are writing about and what the
deliverable is. That may mean literally writing "The user manual will only
describe the features and functions in the product as of <insert date,
probably today>. Any features added after that date that require
documentation are out of scope for this project." Or we create a detailed
outline and that defines the scope. After that outline is approved, anything
outside of that is out of scope. Or both.

I have not been awake that long yet and need more coffee, but these are all
part of managing your projects. I teach this stuff in several of my classes.
It is important to learn, whether you are contract or salary. This is not
rocket science and it makes your life a lot easier if you have control over
your projects.

And, yes, we have done exactly what you describe in #3 below. Some projects
are doomed from the start and nothing can save them. If the client doesn't
care and doesn't help and is inattentive, no amount of begging, pleading,
etc on my part is going to make a difference. Do the best you can and move
on.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting