RE: Stupid users (was the "top this" thread)

Subject: RE: Stupid users (was the "top this" thread)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

> I also think it's inappropriate in Liebeck's
> particular case: The
> information *as presented* (there's your caveat)
> indicates that McDonald's
> knew that its coffee was significantly hotter than
> most people prepare it at
> home, and therefore more dangerous.

So it's sensible to place hot coffee made at home
between your legs? I guess I just don't get it. The
act itself was stupid, despite whose coffee it was or
how hot it was.

> They also knew that most people drank it
> right away. Why is it "stupid" for someone to assume
> that McDonald's coffee
> is as hot as the coffee they prepare at home, and
> that they are in danger
> only of staining their pants?

I can't count on both hands the number of times I've
burned my tongue on coffee I've made at home.

Basic simple fact: coffee (unless iced or sitting
around too long) is hot. Your crotch is probably not
the best place for it.

> It's all about precision and accuracy, which is one
> of our stocks in trade. (Ha! Got the TW tie-in --
> swish)

Exactly my point. And why exactly is precision and
accuracy important?

Because people, by nature, are stupid! I am most
definitely not the first to assert this, and others
have certainly done so with far more ammunition than I
am using. Read Dilbert sometime. Why is it funny?
Because not only are the situations stupid, but they
mimmick real life.

> The warnings or lack thereof on the side of a coffee
> cup are McDonald's
> documentation for the use of that product. If
> McDonald's knows that the
> stuff is unusually hot for typical coffee, and also
> that people tend to
> drink it right away, then they need to write the
> documentation to fit the
> user's needs -- even if Marketing doesn't like it.

Right. But they didn't. Their people didn't think to
do it or didn't think it neccessary. They were stupid.

> (Ha! Three-pointer)

Yeah, but wrong basket. ;)

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com