RE: Heuristic evaluation of documentation?

Subject: RE: Heuristic evaluation of documentation?
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:11:49 -0700

>Robert Plamondon reports: <<When I see the word "heuristics," its usage
>rarely matches any of its dictionary definitions. From context, it
> seems to be a sissy way of saying "rules of thumb." Or am I missing
>something?>>
>
>You're missing something--and smile when you call us a
>collective "sissy".

Oh, I'm smiling. It's just sort of pained, that's all.

>Typically, the meaning is along the lines of a following a series of
>guidelines (something like working through the steps of a computer
>algorithm) in an attempt to solve a problem. In terms of
>documentation, the
>problem is "avoiding common errors or following recommended
>practices".

In other words, rules of thumb.

>This
>term has acquired the connotation that the guidelines are "proven" (by
>research) or otherwise represent "best practices"--neither of which is
>necessarily the case--and that by using the guidelines as a checklist,
>you'll end up with a better result than if you worked by the
>seat of your pants.

If you look up the word in a real dictionary, you'll see that the original
connotation is exactly the opposite of this. Heuristic learning is when you
gain from your own investigations, not from those of others.

To me, the basic connotation of the word, as generally used, is that the
writer is the sort of person who calls a spade an "implement."

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
High-Tech Technical Writing