RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?

Subject: RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- esstech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:54:54 -0700

I personally can't see the need for, or value of, a master's degree in
technical writing.

You either know how to write or you don't.

Your ability to write well or not will clearly be evident in your portfolio.

Your ability to interact well with others is for the hiring manager to
determine.

And certainly, your ability to convince the hiring manager that you have the
right technical background for a specific technical writing position is up
to you.

For myself, I think I'd benefit from a master's in electrical engineering.
Before I can earn that. though, I have to earn a second bachelor's degree in
electrical engineering first.

Before you decide on a course of action, always balance what you might gain
by earning a Ph.D in *any* subject against what you might lose by earning a
Ph.D. If you're not careful, you could actually disqualify yourself from a
position because your education makes you overqualified.

Just a thought.

George

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com