RE: Word and amazon.com (was: PDF a "book" of Word files )

Subject: RE: Word and amazon.com (was: PDF a "book" of Word files )
From: "Bill Lawrence" <scribe -at- matrixplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:36:25 -0400

> ------------------------------
> XML will allow the sharing of content. The formatting and output will
be
> up to how each individual DTP treats/processes and then displays the
XML.
> ------------------------------
>
> Ideally. Do any of the existing DTP applications out there do this
though?
> Are there plans for them to do it this way?There are lots of tools
that d

Sure, lots of them. My current XSML publishing system and the one in
use at my previous employer both do it. The key is XSL and FO. I have
my source in Docbook XML, and my formatting is done through an XSL
transformation to Formatting Objects (FO). I use the Modular Docbook
Stylesheets, which are free and open-source, to create the FO. I use a
commercial FO processor called XEP, but others will suffice. Regardless
of how you process the FO, you get the same results (at least within the
bounds of the capabilities of the FO processor).

You have to quit thinking of Frame, Word, WordPerfect as more than
editors and let XSL do the formatting. Then any XSL processor, given
the original stylesheets, will provide the same results. Some tools,
such as Arbortext Epic, are designed this way and use XSL as their
formatting "engines." If you really want something like Framemaker to
work with, Epic is your tool of choice.

By the way guys, XML is not a hype. I've been using SGML and XML tools
for technical writing for over a decade, and they do everything that the
"hype" claims.

Regards,

Bill Lawrence

Senior Technical Writer