RE: VMWare and Tech Docs

Subject: RE: VMWare and Tech Docs
From: "Johan Hiemstra" <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:44:37 +0200

I've been using VMware for several years now. I write study material for
various MS products, and VMware is simply ideal. I recommend it to 'my
students' so they can save some money on an expensive home lab with
multiple clients/servers. Just make sure you have a modern CPU and
plenty of RAM.

"What does it allow you to do that you aren't able to do using separate
test systems?"
Nothing. It just saves the cost of additional hardware.

"What are its limitations, from your perspective?"
As long as you have enough RAM, and in case of more than 2 OSs separate
hard disks: nothing... at least from "my perspective".... having
installed all versions of Windows since NT /95 (clients and servers). In
my particular situation, it is mainly the advantage of having an extra
node in the network (either client or server). I use 2 lab machines
connected with a cross-over cable and using VMware turn it into a
network with at least 4 computers (2 virtual), allowing me to setup
'complete' networks (Windows and Exchange 2000/2003, Active Directory
domains, etc.). Absolutely a great product.