Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)

Subject: Re: credibility (longish but IMO worth reading)
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

Mike is a wise man.

Look, everybody has been writing since they were in
pre-school, right? So how hard can technical writing
really be ... I mean, it's just typing, right?

Besides, like QA, tech writing is generally worthless
overhead--nobody reads the manuals anyway. Yadda
yadda.

Cheers and grins,

Sean

--- "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Goober Writer wrote:
> > If someone with your skills and know-how needs to
> > trade money for credibility, then there is
> something
> > tragically wrong with our profession.
>
> There is. We have been venting about it for years on
> this very list.
> Employers either neglect documentation work or hold
> it in active contempt.
> Employers don't understand documentation work, and
> documentation doesn't
> appear on their radar screen unless painfully forced
> by a customer. Rational
> business priorities, or pathological arrogance?
> After all this time I still
> don't know. Depends on the employer, I guess.

<snip--but if you didn't read Mike's original post, I
recommend you do so.>

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com