Re: Punctuation

Subject: Re: Punctuation
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:34:31 -0400

From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>

> But, then, I suppose I could be accused of rationalizing my own
> preferences. Really, the issue isn't that important to me. What
> fascinates me is the number of responses such a question can generate.

I get your meaning, Bruce. You think it's an absurd question. However, if we
discard the standard for direct address just because we feel like it (after
all, there has not been a reason proposed for doing it), what keeps us from
discarding any other standard (assuming, as most of us do, that standards
originate in the need for clarity)? How about I just stop using a colon after
the salutation in a business letter?

It seems to me that direct address is a pretty solid standard that will not be
changed. Professional writing will *always* require it.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info
Fast | Accurate | Affordable