Re: Editing; was: Re: Punctuation

Subject: Re: Editing; was: Re: Punctuation
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:10:18 +1000

David Neeley wrote

In most technical documentation shops I have seen, the "technical editor" is generally the *least* technical person on the staff, is usually paid less, and is generally confined to catching typographical errors, wrong page numbers or other formatting, and the like.

In my opinion, this is a significant barrier to editors doing the kind of substantive content editing you speak of in your article.
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/magazine/writing/grammartrap.html

I've been collecting job advertisements for technical editors, to demonstrate that some companies do recognise their value. http://www.jeanweber.com/about/responsi.htm

Therefore, upgrading the status, skill, experience, (and compensation!) of the technical editor I believe would pay large dividends for all of us and for the profession as a whole.

Hear, hear!

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/