Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?

Subject: Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

Peter,

Excuse me, but what does "light emitting device" or "light reflecting device" have to do with the color model? The fact is that a monitor could presumably be made using phosphors that emit in the CMY colors (black isn't necessary, since a black component merely would be the absence of light from the other colors; this is not workable in the chemistry of printing inks, since rather than black the combination of CMY too often results in a muddy brown--but I digress).

The primary difference between monitor color and paper color results from the more intense hues resulting from the transmissive color compared to reflective. Also, the RGB model is built upon an additive color model rather than the CMYK subtractive one--but again that is an implementation detail. Obviously, it is simpler to build monitors on a three color model with the simpler math involved in additive processes.

However, this understanding may be in some respect incorrect. I invite you to enlighten me in those details where I may have an improper understanding.

David

-----Original Message from Peter Ring <prc -at- prc -dot- dk>-----

Molly,

I didn't, but some Mac fans may believe it.

OK, no reason to start a holy war between Mac fans and the rest of us who are happy
with less than a Mac ;-)

And sorry for not adding a signature in my first mail:

**************************************
"Of course you can improve the color synchronizing with proper calibration,
but it can NEVER be even close to perfect with the computer monitor
technologies available today.

The fundamental problem is, that monitors use the RGB (Red - Green - Blue)
system because monitor screens are light emitting devices, and printers
use the CMYK (Cyan - Magenta - Yellow - Black) system because paper is a
light reflecting media. Some cheap printers only use CMY, but that only
makes it worse.

New flat-screen technologies like reflective LCD monitors (no back-light)
or electronic paper may solve the problem far better in the future.

Your graphic designer should know the difference from the graphic arts school."

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com