Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:38:55 -0400

There are valid reasons for upgrading software. For example, now that
64-bit systems are available, software can be optimized for this new
situation.

Unfortunately, the more these companies force people to upgrade, the less
willing they are to go along with it, especially when the upgrades seem
nothing more than tweaks to the interface. To be honest, I still don't see
all that much difference between Office 95, Office 97, and Office 2000
(haven't used OXP yet). The same bugs (numbering, security) are present,
and most of the same commands are available in pretty much the same place,
at least in Word and Excel. I don't use Powerpoint or Access enough to know.
Outlook, perhaps, got the most from the upgrade, but still not much of a
change.

WinXP? Well, people say it's more stable, but you can't prove that by me.
Granted, I've only dealt with 3 installs, and while the OS itself didn't
crash, applications routinely would - and crazy things would happen, such as
the compatibility wizard suddenly getting corrupted. Part of my response to
XP is because of the default interface: I find it too cartoonish. Yes, I
know you can change the look, and I almost immediately do. Techwr-l tie-in:
which is better, a utilitarian interface or a "fun" interface?

The only other "new" stuff is extraneous stuff - Do I really care if Word
can be used as an HTML editor (why is FrontPage available, then)? Or become
place to compose email (why have outlook)? Not really, I prefer a tool that
does what it's supposed to do. Instead of fixing the issues, MS prefers to
bloat the product with unusable, or unneeded, features.

In almost every way, WinXP is just a prettied up version of Win2000. Do I
want to pay for that upgrade? Eventually, I will have to, just to keep up
with the Joneses.

Jeff Hanvey
Thomson, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk