[Fwd: Re: Can't search the PDF file. Really? Still? After 5 years???]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Can't search the PDF file. Really? Still? After 5 years???]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:42:42 -0400

Emily,

I don't believe you will be able to search the PDF if the document was constructed using a double-byte or foreign-encoded font. I'm running into a related problem with a correspondent in Japan. His messages keep getting dumped into my junk mail folder because, even though his messages appear to the human eye to be written in English, closer inspection shows that they are written using ISO-2022-JP encoding. In your case, your co-worker may be using EUC-KR encoding.

Before you put the contents of the Word doc into your FrameMaker file, try changing the encoding in Word. First open the doc, put the cursor in the text somewhere, and Insert > Character. If the character widget shows you that you are out in the far reaches of some Unicode font, try updating the styles to use your good ol' Amuhrican non-Unicode fonts and see if that solves the problem.

Dick

Emily Berk wrote:

So, back in 1997, it looks like searching in certain PDF files was an issue.

And, today, when my PDF absolutely, positively has to be on time, it seems like maybe this problem is not fixed???!!!

I got a Word document from a Korean co-worker and put its contents into my FrameMaker files. When I generate a PDF from them -- it looks great, but is not searchable. I've generated 3 other PDFs this morning in the same FM session (all using File, Print, Adobe Distiller and then double-clicking the .ps file) and all of those are searchable so it's not the general FM or distiller or Acrobat settings, I suspect.

BUT, since I am not generating the PDF from Word, I'm not finding Penelope's solution helpful.

Suggestions?

Please cc: me directly as I am on digest.

Thanks in advance. Sorry I am very out of touch lately.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com