Re: Can't search the PDF file. Really? Still? After 5 years???

Subject: Re: Can't search the PDF file. Really? Still? After 5 years???
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:36:39 -0700

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and good wishes. Sigh.

It's been a few weeks and many changes since I got that original Word doc.

So the go back to Word option is not an option.

This is one of those issues that should be inscribed with a warning label on the outside of every Acrobat box.

If I download these fonts you are talking about, can I embed them in the PDF?

--Emily

At 10:46 AM 10/20/03 -0400, Hart, Geoff wrote:
>Emily Berk reports: <<I got a Word document from a Korean co-worker and put
>its contents into my FrameMaker files. When I generate a PDF from them --
>it looks great, but is not searchable. I've generated 3 other PDFs this
>morning in the same FM session (all using File, Print, Adobe Distiller and
>then double-clicking the .ps file) and all of those are searchable so it's
>not the general FM or distiller or Acrobat settings, I suspect.>>

>I'm betting that "Korean" is the clue that will explain your problem. I work
>with many Asian authors, and they most often use "localized" versions of
>their software that include (among other things) fonts not used by North
>American versions of the software. These fonts don't always translate into a
>form you can use painlessly ...

>The long-term solution--and what solved my problems with the Japanese
>files--is to install an Asian languages pack, which is available for both
>Word (from Microsoft) and Acrobat (from Adobe). Search for these terms on
>their Web sites and you'll find the download, which is reasonably painless
>to install.

>Unfortunately, if you stick with the Asian fonts, you have to install these
>language files on every computer that will be reading the files. ...

~ Emily Berk ~
~ Looking for challenging, new projects ~
~ www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Internet and non-Internet application development, ~
~ project management, developer relations and ~
~ extremely-technical technical documentation that ~
~ developers find useful. ~

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com