Can't search the PDF file? (take II)

Subject: Can't search the PDF file? (take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:42:10 -0400

Emily Berk reported: <<It's been a few weeks and many changes since I got
that original Word doc. So the go back to Word option is not an option.>>

No worries. Do exactly the same thing (convert to a standard North American
font) in Frame instead. The principle is exactly the same: don't use the
Asian fonts unless you're writing for an Asian audience. Even then, my
recollection is that the standard North American fonts will be supported
flawlessly even in Asian versions of Acrobat, and are thus a better choice
irrespective of your audience. Of course, if you need to support Asian
special characters, you'll need Asian fonts.

<<This is one of those issues that should be inscribed with a warning label
on the outside of every Acrobat box.>>

No, it should be fixed by Adobe so that nobody ever has to RTFB ("read the
fine box"). <g>

<<If I download these fonts you are talking about, can I embed them in the
PDF?>>

Fonts is fonts. <g> But I don't know that they'll work with the search
function. I haven't tried that, so you'll need to carefully test it. More
importantly, as I noted in my previous message, if you don't know that your
audience has these fonts installed, embedding them is the wrong solution. It
increases the file size and adds complexity without any corresponding
benefits. Stick with North American fonts and you'll be happier.

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Wisdom is one of the few things that look bigger the further away it
is."--Terry Pratchett

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com