Re: Windows version number references in docs

Subject: Re: Windows version number references in docs
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:50:10 -0600

This is just my (opinionated, caffeinated, slanted, whatever-you-
want-to-call-it) observation, but for some reason, today I feel
compelled to share it:

Those who are driven to make disparaging comments about the
quality of Microsoft products (or other vendor's products), must not
work in the software industry or at least must not work closely with
their engineering teams.

Software development is a very difficult process (you really don't
need me to tell you this). It is *impossible* to create error free code
and it's equally impossible to test out each and every bug scenario.

As for documentation, we (as in the "collective we") are the ones
that create that documentation. I hope that my documentation will
stand up to the high standards and expectations that have been set,
and I'm sure you have the same hopes. Obviously, some of us in
the collective we are falling short of the mark. I hope it's not me - is it
you?

I guess I'm just trying to say "people who live in glass houses should
not throw stones", or "clean up your own back yard", or something
trite like that. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world.
As such, there are going to be hiccups, but really, we're all just
doing the best we can. It's not like "we" are intentionally creating
buggy software or inadequate documentation.

OK... falling off the soap box and back in to lurking for a while... (and
donning the flame retardant suit).

Dana W.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com