RE: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: RE: Adobe adds product activation
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

Well,

--- Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com> wrote:

> > His reply was for you to read the EULA. Won't that
> > answer your question?
>
> uh, because it's a smart*ssed diss, essentially
> saying "i know what the
> answer is but i'm not going to tell you"?

I don't think so. I think he was saying, RTFM. I'll
bet Goob didn't have that info on the tip of his
tongue, because the info changes from product to
product.

> > Meaning, they are like unicorns or Santa Claus?
> Or,
> > that you open the packet and install the software
> and
> > do not agree to the terms? And, if the latter,
> then
> > why ask the question, why not just do whatever you
> > want?
>
> this seems to be belaboring the somewhat obvious,
> but it's because for one
> reason or another, i ****HAVE**** to use the msft
> product at that moment in
> time, and regardless of WHAT the EULA says, i am
> going to use it because i
> HAVE to. full stop. you're right, i do have other
> choices: pen an paper,
> quit work and start eating government cheese, use an
> alternate software that
> nobody else on the project is using and suffer the
> results when
> ***ANYTHING*** goes wrong and it gets blamed on
> software incompatibility,
> and like that.

Then, why do you care about the EULA, or will you
abide by it?

Anyway, in my copy of MS Project, if I search for
"EULA" (noquotes) in the online help, I can find the
following (and a lot more):

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE

The Software Product is protected by intellectual
property laws and treaties. The Software Product is
licensed, not sold.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This Section of the EULA
describes Your general license rights to install and
use the Software Product. It also describes a set of
additional license rights. The license rights
described in this Section are subject to all other
terms and conditions of this EULA.

? General License Grant to Install and Use Software
Product. You may install and use one copy of the
Software Product on a single computer, device,
workstation, terminal, or other digital electronic or
analog device (?Device?). You do not have the right to
allow other people to access and use Your copy of the
Software Product from Your Device unless You follow
the restrictions described in the alternative license
grant in the next paragraph. If You run a business or
enterprise, You may install a second copy of the
Software Product on a portable Device owned by You for
the exclusive use of the person within Your business
or enterprise who is the user of the primary copy of
the Software Product, provided that such person only
uses the second copy for business purposes, and
provided that such installation and use otherwise
comply with all the terms and conditions of this EULA.
Additional License Grant for Microsoft Office Web
Components: You may access and use one (1) copy of the
Office Web Component software included in the Software
Product.

Alternative License Grant for Storage/Network Use. As
an alternative to the rights granted in the previous
section, You may install a copy of the Software
Product on a storage Device, such as a network server,
and allow individuals within your business or
enterprise to access and use the Software Product from
other Devices over a private network, provided that
you acquire and dedicate a license for the storage
Device upon which the Software Product is installed
and each separate Device from which the Software
Product is accessed and used. This license does not
give you a right to allow anyone to access or use the
Software Product over the Internet. This license grant
includes the right to exercise the additional license
rights described in the following sections. A license
for the Software Product may not be shared or used
concurrently on different Devices.

Downgrades. Instead of installing and using the
Software Product, you may install and use one copy of
an earlier version of the Software Product on a single
Device. Your use of such earlier version shall be
governed by this EULA, and your rights to use such
earlier version shall terminate when you install the
Software Product.
? Additional License Grant for Systems Administrators.
You may allow system administrators within Your
business or enterprise to access and use the Software
Product for the sole purpose of assisting You with
installing, configuring, and maintaining that copy of
the Software Product. You must obtain separate
licenses to the Software Product for systems
administrators to use the Software Product as
described in other sections of this EULA.

? Reservation of Rights. All rights not expressly
granted are reserved by Microsoft.

Cheers,

Sean

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com