RE: Single-sourcing, who's doing it?

Subject: RE: Single-sourcing, who's doing it?
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Baker <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com> wrote:
> XML is a pig in a poke, because it sells itself as
> superior to SGML when it
> is, in fact, inferior, at least for document
> applications.

That's a big statement. SGML may be the grandfather of
markup, but I think it died a death some years ago.
This does not mean that it is without merit. Just that
it is dead as far as the technology curve goes.

An example would be if you want a Web Browser to
automatically parse and transform your document on the
client side. No server side processing. SGML does not
support this, but with XML a simple stylesheet
processing tag in the head of the XML document and the
page is automatically transformed to HTML in the
browser.

So in terms of the technology available today, very
little new development takes consideration of SGML.
While with XML this is the direct opposite.

Sean Wheller

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com