Re: end user vs end-user

Subject: Re: end user vs end-user
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:48:48 -0400

Amanda,

You have a slightly more complex situation than many writers have, and you need to distinguish among classes of users. I think what many of us are saying, though, is that there is nothing sacrosanct about the word _user_ or the phrase _end user._ Rather, with a bit of creative thought, we can usually come up with unique words (or perhaps phrases in some cases) to distinguish these classes. In your example, for instance, what would be wrong with referring to managers, employees (or staff), and customers, in lieu of administrators, employee-users, and customer-users? It's just easier on the reader, methinks.

Dick

Amanda Fitch wrote:

I still think user distinction is important in specific situations.
Here's another way to think of it:

There is a Milk Manager. (Administrator)
There is a Milk Employee. (User)
There is a Milk Customer. (User)

The manager administers employees, employees serve customers, but
employees do not administer customers.

If I tell the manager to distribute milk to users, the manager won't
know if I'm talking about employees or customers.

For most projects, there isn't a need to differentiate between users,
but in some projects, it is necessary.