Re: Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective

Subject: Re: Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:42:52 -0700

Yeah, you're so right on that one. That balance is critical.

I admit I've had to be reigned in on occasion by my manager when I've pushed
a little too hard. In most cases, they don't want me to stop being an
advocate, just to focus more on having a better balance, and learning the
right stopping point.

Chuck Martin

"Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote in message news:217574 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Depends on whether you know when to stop pushing. Following
> the specific instructions of your manager is only "sucking
> up" if you do so without voicing your contrary opinion, but
> once you have there's a point at which you have to clam up
> and get with the program. Someone asked how things were
> done in the military, and my recollection is that in a well-
> run organization, subordinates feel comfortable voicing
> their opinions right up until the point at which their CO
> makes it clear that a decision as been made, at which time
> everybody lines up and marches in step toward the specified
> objective. Continuing to argue at that point is not
> conducive to team cohesiveness or to your continued future
> in your present rank.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com