Re: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years (Long and V ERY Worth It)

Subject: Re: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years (Long and V ERY Worth It)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:18:51 -0800

When I worked in the defense industry, our common practice was to never
allow anyone in the Tech Pubs group to work on an entire document. Reports
were often split among multiple editors and formatters, with the engineers
(us) having to sit down at one of the word processing workstations after yet
another formatter had assembled the final document to manually replace all
the nonsensical placeholders we'd inserted into the drafts (I often used the
maximum warp speed of Star Trek's USS Enterprise as a substitute for
the maximum submerged cruising speed of a Trident II boat) with the actual
classified data figures. Then we would print out as many copies as the
deliverable required, take possession of the master tapes or disks and
remove all to secure storage.

Up until the headline spy stories of the 80's, it wasn't unusual for companies
to have large techpubs groups, with writers, editors and word processors
all sporting Secret and CNWDI badges. But when the govt started clamping
down on clearances, somebody's had to go, and they weren't about to revoke
the clearances of the engineers and program managers...

Gene Kim-Eng

"Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message news:...

> Apparently, a good deal of Western intelligence about North Korea's latest
> missile came from a defector who worked in a pubs department. This guy
> violated what is probably the world's toughest NDA:

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com