Re: WIKI to produce customer documentation

Subject: Re: WIKI to produce customer documentation
From: "Cheryl Webber" <CWebber -at- seagull -dot- nl>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 06:22:24 -0700

HI everyone,

Thanks for all your helpful replies. Before i continue, the WIKI that is
being experimented with is a WIKI- JAVA version.

I had a chat with the person currently maintaining the WIKI. He is not in
favour of using WIKI-java based for documentation as it is feature limited
when it comes to documentation. He chose this WIKI version as he is
satisfied with it for only dev documenting/editing /own use and i doubt he
will change to a WIKI-php version.

That leaves me with finding someone to maintain another WIKI preferably a
WIKI-php version-since this seems to be more doc friendly in terms of
formatting etc (as mentioned by you Char JT!).

D. Neely- You're right about someone seeing this tool on the Web and
voila- "this HAS to be used by our writers!"

D.Locke's idea of creating separate WIKI sections according :

-to tech support and the customers ,

-product management,

-dev on another

is also an idea-but unfortunately it all depends on who will maintain the
back-end of the WIKI. Using WIKI is a good idea, however it also depends
how much 'buy-in' everyone will want, how much work will this turn
out(only 2 writers with 4 main product docs excl internal docs), will this
increase our workload?,who is willing to maintain it? etc..

There will be another session about this this week, i'll let you know how
it turns out! :-)

Thanks again,

Cheryl

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com