Re: What to do??

Subject: Re: What to do??
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:07:25 -0500

I already sent this to Wade personally, but I figured I would also send it to the group for the benefit of all:

Hi there,

As a person who worked in tech editing overseas in a primarily immigrant nation (Israel) where the authors had a very wide variety of native tongues, I can offer a few nuggets of advice:

1) Don't hesitate to ask questions. After a little while, you'll begin seeing the method behind the madness. For example, several of my authors were Russian speakers who since learned Hebrew and then English. I got to the point where I recognized that they were writing Russian-style sentences using Hebrew syntax, but written using English words. Countless other authors were in the same position, but their native languages differed.

Once I identified the idiosyncrasies associated with the various native tongues, I was able to decipher and, in effect, translate what they were writing. When asking questions, you may find it useful to ask one or two of them with whom you have a good rapport to explain how they might say this (using rough translation into English) in their native tongue. That will probably put you on the road to seeing some of the written structures that you're likely to see again.

2) Ask your boss to clarify his statement regarding "not paying mind" to grammar or spelling. Indicate to him/her that while you're able to worry about proper sentence structure, etc., it is vital that the incoming information contain some basic degree of logic and "flow."
This may be tricky, but it sounds like it needs to be done. Everyone needs to understand that there is a big difference between not sweating the finer points of English and doing an indecipherable brain dump via a keyboard.

3) Be sure to offer your help with no holds barred at the beginning. In my current company, I again work with several non-native English speakers. I have found that if you establish yourself as not only an authority on English but ALSO as someone who is willing to do what is necessary to help the others help themselves, they will value this and use it. In the short-term this strategy may result in a line forming outside your cubicle/office, the masses will eventually subside and you'll most likely receive better incoming information.

4) I don't know what type of work you're doing, but you also might want to think over the possibility of establishing boilerplates that the authors can fill in. This very well may help guide them in the direction that you'd like them to go. Naturally the feasibility of this depends on your specific doc set, but imagine this: If your doc set consistently contains certain items (e.g., scope statement, list of roles and responsibilities), you could write the introductory sentence(s), leaving them only with blank bullet points to fill in wherever possible.

Hope some or all of this was of use! Smile -- although the going may be very very tough at times, I think that you'll find you gain a lot from the experience in the long run.

-- Lisa

At 12:59 PM 10/27/2003, you wrote:

I just started a job at a new company in Sept. Some of the engineers
are Russian and they have problems with their English. Ok, no worries,
but my boss has given them instructions to not worry about grammar,
spelling, or anything else because I will fix it. Editing these
documents puts me on the edge of insanity and I have to take a break
nearly every half a page. How can I tactfully handle telling my boss
how I feel?

Regards,

Wade

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com