RE: "Too Good" (was: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years - Help!)

Subject: RE: "Too Good" (was: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years - Help!)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:19:06 -0800 (PST)

> Hmm. OK. So if I'm understanding you right, less is
> more, and maybe an
> outline is better for you than a block o' prose.

Nope. Good info is important. I just make notes to sum
up and call out the stuff I need to remember - create
my "triggers", so to speak. An outline on its own is
useless to me. Need the info...

> By "complete" I don't mean "covers everything about
> the subject
> matter"-- I mean "stands on its own without needing
> trainee-written
> notes to be intelligible." Whole. Sufficient.

Will never happen. Unless you know your audience to
the point where you could step in and do their day to
day work without training yourself, you won't get to
that level.

> Scenarios, yes-- but I would opt for *detailed*
> scenarios. With pictures
> and steps. What I was casting aspersions upon was
> not a training guide
> with pertinent scenarios -- it was the typical
> "eight pages of
> fragmentary bullet points" handouts that some
> trainers rely on. The kind
> of thing where you go back later and find the
> handout mystifying:

Cool. Just provide some white space for notes. ;)

> * WIDGETS (handwritten doodling in margin, or was
> that a graph?
> handwritten note in right margin, underlined twice:
> "Pick up chicken
> after work.")
> * FOOBERS (handwritten note: "grackling?")
> * XYZZY (handwritten note: "See document 12Q3B")
>
> Or maybe I'm just a lousy note-taker.

No comment. ;)

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com