Re: Engineering & writing

Subject: Re: Engineering & writing
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:18:18 -0500

Someone wrote:

Engineers are fundamentally problem solvers.

It may be true that most engineers are problem solvers (some are just problems, period, of course). But not all problem solvers are engineers. And I think that is the fundamental confusion. We all like to think that only the people wearing the green jerseys are capable of rational thought, and the people wearing the yellow jerseys are must be idiots. It is more productive, I submit, to acknowledge that there are many valid approaches to problem-solving, some of which use unfamiliar methods and vocabularies but all of which yield satisfactory results.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com