Re: Offshore writers and editors & web services

Subject: Re: Offshore writers and editors & web services
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:05:00 -0600

I'm curious about all these sites I've seen lately:

www.elance.com
www.elancer.com (horrible english)
www.gettybest.com
etc, etc.

Here is my frustration. I value good writing, as has been discussed, others (companies, managers, etc) don't---and the competition is stiff as well as obnoxiously undercut. I've been asked to edit for $1/page. I can't live on that type of money.

I feel the whole problem has nothing to do with the lack of quality. I feel that people just want whatever is cheap. I did a bid for a 12 page revamp of a website, all new content (sales & hard hitting marketing copy), new graphics, a business card, a tri-fold brochure, and two liability legal contracts. I bid, reasonably, I thought, ~$4000. The company liked my stuff, liked my attitude, but I was just too expensive. They went with someone who was agreeing to do all that work for $865!

$865? I couldn't feed myself lunch and pay for the electric bill on that kind of money. I can hardly wait to see what the site looks like when it's done.

I know this leads to an open forum, but must my rates come down in order to be accomodating? Or do I just need to look into a new career? (seriously.)

Michele

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

Offshore, outsourced, contractor. All the same thing, all use the same 'tactics'
to market their services. There's no need to wonder how it's done. And as far as
the poorly worded resume from an overseas editor, I think we can all say that
we've seen the same from aspiring local employees and contractors.

Mike's advice about marketing is right on the money. To compete (no matter where
the competition is coming from), you have to market to price, and/or quality,
and/or delivery. Identify your strengths and market to potential customers
seeking those strengths. Beyond that, may the best businessman (or woman) win.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com