RE: Re: Offshore writers and editors & web services

Subject: RE: Re: Offshore writers and editors & web services
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 03 Nov 2003 18:13:22 GMT

I don't think things are *quite* that bad, because there's
a minimum level of quality that even the cheapest client
won't sacrifice. It's just that most clients' levels
of "good enough" are pretty low where grammar, formatting
and other non-technical aspects of documentation are
concerned, and copy editors who can fix these things
without any product knowledge are a lot less expensive
than a writer. I haven't encountered any clients who
tried offshore writing who had a lot of grumbles about
the grammar and structuring skills of their foreign
writers, and I'm not getting *any* calls for work that
involves editing, formatting or other non-technical
documentation support. The factors that keep my clients
coming back to me (and other local professionals) are
distance and time zone differences and their effect on
research/interview performance and response time and,
above all else, familiarity with product development
processes, product functions and underlying industrial
practices and technology that they're not getting from
offshore documentation providers.

Gene Kim-Eng