Re: Word master/sub documents

Subject: Re: Word master/sub documents
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:37:51 -0800

henri -dot- kroeze -at- dcstrans -dot- nl wrote:

Hello all,

What gives: We have huge amounts of documentation, mainly FD's and TD's. Some parts of these documents we want included in the user documentation. Rather than to duplicate these parts, we would like to be able to refer to those parts.

English is not my native language, so excuse me if you see any spelling or grammatical errors...

It always amuses me to hear non-natives apologize for their English, since their usages are usally more literate than those of most native speakers. As in this case. But although Henri's English is fine (let's not nitpick those apostrophes!), I have issues with his technical prose. If you're going to talk about an obscure concept, you should always give some kind of explanation, or at least a clear enough name so one can look it up. Or, in the case of an acronym, simply spell it out at least once. Maybe other people on techwr-l know what FDs and TDs are, but I haven't a clue.

> One way we think this can be done is using the Master/Sub document option
> in Word.
> For example: Main1 has Sub1 and Sub2.
> Then we create a new document, called Main2, that uses Sub1.
>
> Now the real question is: is it possible to 'know' from within a sub
> document, in what Master documents it is used?
> In my example: Sub1 is used in Main1 and Main2.

I'm sure there must be a way (field variables? macros?), but I'd advise against trying it. Word is too brittle and unreliable a tool for complex structured documents. You'll end up putting in a ton of work only to have a process that you can't rely upon. Time to start studying XML!

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com