Indexing question

Subject: Indexing question
From: "Kevin C Cole" <kccole -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:59:33 -0500

Hi Folks,

I have been hired to edit a manual being done by a small software company.

They wrote the book in MS Word, then handed it to their art/production
person who imported the file into Quark, dropped in art, moved blocks of
text around, changed all the page breaks etc, then ran it through distiller
and made a PDF file out of it.

I'm not familiar with Quark, and the PDF they produced is not searchable as
much of the text is in graphics.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a semi-mechanized way of creating an
index? I can do it the old fashioned way with index cards but I'm reluctant
to do that since I hated the 60s (when I last did it that way).

I'd certainly be very grateful for any help anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks a lot.

--Kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com