RE: Globalization vs exploitation

Subject: RE: Globalization vs exploitation
From: "Carol Lee" <clee -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:34:08 -0600

David,
Do you have any comments about the recent raid of WalMart that revealed
the exploitation of illegal immigrants? There's an in-depth article
about it on the front page of today's New York Times
(http://www.nytimes.com/pages/pageone/index.html) that presents many of
the same arguments we have been tossing around regarding "offshoring" of
technical jobs. The workers were paid "locally prevailing wages" and
they "willingly" agreed to come here to do the work, so does that make
it all fair and right for you in how they were treated? One of my
points is that these practices are rampant even within our own country,
not just in developing countries. I doubt any of us would begrudge any
individual who is trying to better their situation. What some of us are
objecting to is unfair business practices, where human labor is being
exploited for the allmighty dollar and laws, acts, and treaties are
ignored when convenient.

Carol