Re: student survey

Subject: Re: student survey
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:51:03 -0500

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote on 11/10/2003 10:37:06 AM:
> I have no reason to believe without any evidence, that the
> poster was lying. I'm
> sorry. I just don't. You can call me naive, if you want.
> I'd rather be naive than automatically think people are liars.

Sorry, but anything posted from a hotmail account with no further information or
details about the poster nor the reason for the survey demands that the request
be treated as suspect. In my view it's not my place to go and verify the
validity of the posters claims it's up to the original poster to gain my trust.

It may just be a sad reflection on the state of cyberspace, but my gut reaction
is to ignore and distrust anything that doesn't come from an identifiable
source. That means if its supposed to be a class project, its hosted on a
university .edu computer with all e-mails originating from a .edu server.

> All of this may be quite true; I don't doubt it, but in
> the present case, it
> still boils down only to your believing -- without any
> evidence -- that the
> poster was lying. I'm not prepared to do that.

I think there is ample evidence that the survey is a lie. The silence from the
original poster speaks volumes about whether the survey is valid or not.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com