To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)

Subject: To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:18:44 -0800 (PST)

I would answer your question if I understood it. Are
you saying that I have no right to be concerned about
offshoring if my shirt is sewn in Guatemala? Are you
saying I should feel good about the chance of my job
or my neighbors' jobs being sent offshore because my
TV set comes from Korea? Please clarify.

You say that you are part of the problem. The only way
you could be part of the offshoring problem is if you
were party to the decisions that caused the situation.
Are you a corporate executive who decided to lay off
thousands of Americans and hire Malays instead? Did
you circulate petitions in favor of passing a law that
caused a company to send a bunch of jobs to Singapore?
Did you send a lobbyist to Congress to urge them to
force American companies to send jobs to Bangladesh?
Do you own a bank and you told a company you would
call its note if it didn't cut its personnel costs by
30 percent through offshoring?

If you didn't do one of these things or something like
them, then you're not part of the problem - you're one
of the potential victims of it.

I am not part of the problem. I did not decide to send
American jobs overseas, and I did not convince,
cajole, or coerce anyone else to do so.

--- kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

> > I really have to wonder how tightly you would
> cling to
> > your claim that offshoring is *good* for us if
> your
> > job was taken from you and moved to Bangalore.
>

> KK - here's a survey. Look at the following five
> objects:
>
> ? your car
> ? your TV
> ? your cell phone
> ? the shirt or blouse you're wearing
> ? your wristwatch (or the nearest clock)
>
> How many were made in your country? In my case, I
> don't think any of them
> were. So I'm definitely part of the problem - are
> you?
>

> Keith Cronin
> typing on a Micron keyboard that was made in
> Thailand

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com