Re: To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)

Subject: Re: To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:41:37 -0700

KK wrote

> You say that you are part of the problem. The only way
> you could be part of the offshoring problem is if you
> were party to the decisions that caused the situation.

> If you didn't do one of these things or something like
> them, then you're not part of the problem - you're one
> of the potential victims of it.

> I am not part of the problem. I did not decide to send
> American jobs overseas, and I did not convince,
> cajole, or coerce anyone else to do so.

I think you are perhaps choosing to be a bit naive concerning the role of
the CONSUMER in affecting the decisions of the companies whose products
you buy.

Every time you put on a Malaysian-made shirt, sit down behind your
Thai-built computer and park your Taiwanese-made cellphone nearby, you're
sending a message to these companies, saying it's okay with you if the
companies that provide these products do so at the least cost, with no
regard to the effect of these decisions on American (or whatever country
you're from) laborers, just as long as you keep getting what you want at a
price you can afford.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that by doing so you're doing anything
wrong. As I said, I'm as guilty of it as anybody. But at least I admit it.

I consume *globally*. Most of us do. As such, it seems unreasonable to
expect the marketplace not to *produce* globally.

My desire for the best products available at the lowest cost both causes
and perpetuates the very problem you bemoan. And I suspect you harbor
similar econo-materialistic desires, which produce similar effects.

Let he who is without sin cast the first Sony.

KC

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com