Re: How the world becomes wealthier (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)

Subject: Re: How the world becomes wealthier (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:46:23 -0800

Jo Francis Byrd wrote:

But, in every case, the shift ultimately resulted in more jobs, new jobs,
different jobs. Better paying jobs.

If you take a distant enough view, everything looks benign and reasonable. The trouble is, if you're in the middle of those changes, it's harder to take such a lofty view.

Our world is changing. It's going to be painful. We can't change it.
Sure we can. If your history classes didn't teach you that as well, then you didn't take enough of the right (or should I say the wrong) classes. Social upheavals don't just mysteriously work out because of some hidden hand. Even if resistance to change fails - and it doesn't, always - the very fact that there is resistance can help ease the changes for individuals; if nothing else, resistance can slow the rate of change to give people more time to adjust.

It's useful for many purposes to see history as a movement of larger forces, but it's important to remember that history is also the actions of individuals.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com