RE: Word printing problem

Subject: RE: Word printing problem
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:26:01 -0500

"Peter Ring" <prc -at- prc -dot- dk> wrote on 11/12/2003 08:44:32 AM:
> When a page is being created in the printer it is
> converted by the build-in CPU in the
> printer from the format received from the computer (e.g.,
> PCL or PS) to the final single dots on the paper.

While I didn't follow the entire thread I really didn't understand the rejection
of PDF as an intermediate step before printing. Sure the client wanted a Word
file, but the suggestion is not to deliver a PDF only but to print from PDF for
any hardcopy.

Regardless of how much printer RAM you install, the CPU on you desktop is MUCH
faster than any CPU installed on a printer. I have found large print jobs from
ANY application can be accomplished much faster by printing to PS file through
the distiller printer, distilling to PDF, and then printing the PDF.

On a side note: I believe someone queried why there would be such a significant
difference in spool size for solid versus dotted lines. The answer is quite
simple. The driver is treating each dotted line not as a single item with a
dotted style, but as hundreds (thousands?) of individual little dashes.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com