Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint

Subject: Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint
From: David Tremblay <techwrit -at- mediom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:03:41 -0500

Bonnie Granat wrote:

I just downloaded the PowerPoint viewer for this project. Thanks for the advice,
folks.

I have two questions about OpenOffice, though:

-What's the economic model, here?

Eh, all you need is love! FOpen source are driven by motivated
user/progammer/writers dedicated to have better software, in the case of
OOo it has the help of SUN that lend few programmers on that project.
It' s open source, like mozilla, Linux, zope, gimp etc.

-Why should I trust that this program won't mess up my computer?

Because it's rock solid stuff, smarter, more stable, smaller and way
more forward thinking than MS suite. It has framing ability, does store
its file in XML (so it is really open), numbering isn't broken, the doc
navigator and the stylist are great time savers, it save as xhtml and
PDF, those folks wants also to support docbook one day ... Since I use
it (6 months ago) it did only crashed once.

there is drawbacks for sure, it lacks some templates, doesn't handle pdf
hyperlinks but what the heck it's only the 1.1 version .... The best
has yet to come

David

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com