Managing "comments" in XML documents like any other XML content

Subject: Managing "comments" in XML documents like any other XML content
From: Scott Abel <abelsp -at- netdirect -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:53:24 -0500

I'm trying to make the case for treating code 'comments' written in XML
documents as content. That is, I want to tag comments with a <comment>
element instead of "commenting it out" using the SGML comments notation
<!--comment goes here--!>.

There are likely to be many benefits of tagging comment content in XML
documents. The ability to sort, filter, and otherwise manage them seem to be
logical benefits.

But, why exactly? What could we do with it? Has anyone done anything using
this technique? Are you doing it now? And, if so, in what ways has the
ability to manipulate comment data in XML documents helped your
organization?

I'm hoping to locate articles about comment tagging (as well as feedback
from list members) that I can use to create a business case for adopting an
approach that ensures comments in XML documents are managed in a way that is
beneficial to the business.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Scott Abel