Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint

Subject: Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:10:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi All;

>>-What's the economic model, here?

Sun sells hardware platforms. Sun hopes that if you use their SW,
you'll buy their HW - which is optimized to support their SW. Sun has
stated this about Java and the same logic applies to SunOffice.

"OpenOffice" is what you get when Sun opens up their source to
SunOffice. Same thing underneath.

>>Why should I trust that this program won't mess up my computer?

Mostly because Sun doesn't want to slit their own throat.

>Because it's rock solid stuff, smarter, more stable, smaller and way
>more forward thinking than MS

Maybe, but I prefer the simpler explanation. By the time I learned
enough UNIX to crash the corporate local net, I loved UNIX too much to
want to do so. I don't enjoy committing cybersuicide.

The same logic applies here. You can trust Open Software because OS
developers use it to build their own stuff. And they don't want want
to commit cybersuicide either. Self-preservation is a form of self-love.

The Internet itself was heavily influenced by the same people in the
Open Software movement. And the GUI to the Internet (aka, the Web) was
_explicitely_ designed and built by Tim Berners-Lee to be Open Software.

Do you trust it? I sure hope so. You're using the Internet now.

David S. Blyth
Staff Technical Writer
QCT Division
QUALCOMM