Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint

Subject: Re: Viewing Powerpoint without Powerpoint
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:01:34 -0800

With all the enthusiasm being expressed about OpenOffice.org, I'd like to add that
(a) I'm switching over to it as much as possible, because I don't have to pay a licensing fee, and I can use it on as many computers as I want, but I wouldn't use it if it didn't do what I want and need.
(b) You can produce PDFs directly from the latest version (1.1) -- if I recall, Bonnie needs to produce PDFs of her resume, so she can do it with OOo as well as viewing those PowerPoint slides.
(c) The documentation (online help) varies from very good to abysmal and sometimes wrong, but depending on what you're trying to do, that may not matter. Several books have been published, and others are coming soon, from a variety of authors (check Amazon.com for titles).
(d) As Bruce Byfield noted, sometimes conversions between MSOffice and OpenOffice.org don't work exactly right, but in most cases there's no problem. I've got some information on my OpenOffice.org website about this, but it's far from complete.
(e) I've written two books using the software, and it works at least as well as Word for this purpose, and sometimes better. It's not in FrameMaker's league, but for many purposes that doesn't matter. I think there's a relatively recent note on this list from Bruce comparing OOo Writer and FM; ah, yes, here it is:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0311/techwhirl-0311-00009.html

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
OpenOffice.org http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com