Re: NASA Technical Documentation WAS RE: An urban legend regarding documentation?

Subject: Re: NASA Technical Documentation WAS RE: An urban legend regarding documentation?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:58:33 -0800 (PST)

<technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net> wrote l...

> However, for a discipline that is supposedly an
>"engineering" discipline (and I'd dispute that categorization, in many but
>not all cases), we sometimes display an unacceptable lack of rational
>skepticism.

Keep in mind that very few technical writers have training or education in
scientific analysis process. They have English and creative writing degrees or
certifications. These programs do not require students to use rational or
scientific modes of analysis and skepticism.

As such, many writers don't acknowledge or notice these issues. They focus
instead on issues of process, style, or vague notions of "best practice."

As for this shuttle issue - anybody who tries to make this an example of how
tech writers could of saved the day should be ground up into cat food. The '86
shuttle disaster was part of a large, endemic management issue at NASA.
Basically, managers were not listening to or paying attention to important
advice. It wouldn't have mattered if the docs were printed on bright red text
or used 900 different internationally recognized information mapping
methodologies. The management didn't give a crap. They wanted to push the
program forward so they could get rack up bonuses, get an early retirement, go
home, and sit in front of the TV and scream about Jesus. Its easy to make
stupid decisions when you're not the one going up in the rocket.

No amount of process, methods, or certification can change the simple fact that
some people are just too stupid to be trusted with positions of authority.

Back to work, you!

Andrew Plato

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com