Re: outsourcing

Subject: Re: outsourcing
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:05:43 -0800 (PST)

> > If you can't build better widgets at a competitive
> price, or you can't
> provide
> > quality skills and services at a competitive
> price, get off the playing
> field
> > and polish up your burger-flipping skills.
>
> How do I apply this to a technical writing career?

You don't. In our case, if you want to make good
money, you need to add value where offshoring cannot.

What does this mean? Hard to say. Give me a specific
example and I can address it specifically.

The point is that we all need to develop skills that
will "transcend" us above and beyond the role of a
run-of-the-mill tech writer. This concept shouldn't be
new to anyone who has been paying attention to the
various tc-related lists over the past 3 years.

What specific skills you need to build vary though,
depending on what industry you want to remain in, what
you would like to be doing, and what you enjoy doing.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com