RE: Managing "comments" in XML documents like any other XML conte nt

Subject: RE: Managing "comments" in XML documents like any other XML conte nt
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:48:17 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Abel [mailto:abelsp -at- netdirect -dot- net]

I'm trying to make the case for treating code 'comments' written in XML
documents as content....

There are likely to be many benefits of tagging comment content in XML
documents....

But, why exactly? What could we do with it? Has anyone done anything using
this technique? Are you doing it now? And, if so, in what ways has the
ability to manipulate comment data in XML documents helped your
organization?

-----Reply-----

We do that. There are several benefits:

1) we use metadata to track who added the comment and when it was added. We
can run queries against the comments to find old, outstanding comments,
comments made by specific people, etc.

2) we define various views using CSS and xslt to either highlight or hide
the comments

You had a pretty good idea, it seemed, of some of the benefits. There was
one drawback, however. SGML-style comments are ignored by the processors.
These are not, so some times content in the comment tags can get picked up
by a transform if you do not account for it carefully.

Jason

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com