Re: Pattrn of written test for Technical writers

Subject: Re: Pattrn of written test for Technical writers
From: "Michael Schiesl" <michael -at- michaelwriting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:47:06 -0600

>HI All,
> I got an interview call from ORACLE for technical
> writer post. I came to know that there will be written
> test as screening criteria. I have no idea how this
> pattern will be for technical writers.
> Can some body help me "Generally what are the
> aspects employer will try to test in written test".

In my earlier days, the manager would tell me to write a procedure
for buying something out of a Coca-Cola machine or write a procedure
for taking apart their product and putting it back together again.

For a company like Oracle, I assume that they would quiz you on
knowledge and terminology related to software and databases.

It looks like they have a lot of docs, tutorials, and demos on oracle.com,
so I'd start there. Get to know their products, review your database and
data structure fundamentals, and brush up on your java/SQL knowledge
(if it seems applicable). If you know the particular products that you'll be
working with, it might be good to focus in on those products.

Here are some other links that may help:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question599.htm
http://databases.about.com/
http://www.michaelwriting.com/tutorial/SQL.htm (I'm still working on this)

You might also want to know how to spell 'Pattern' before the test. : )

Michael Schiesl
Michael Writing & Illustration
michael -at- michaelwriting -dot- com
262-705-9444