Re: Dueling prepositions

Subject: Re: Dueling prepositions
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:01:36 -0800

Mike -

Why not use:

"Adding and Removing Participants" as your heading?

However, if you are "married" to the idea of using a preposition, the
gerund closest to the preposition governs which one is used.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:59:49 -0500 "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> writes:

> I am writing a combo procedure that describes how to add and remove
> a user
> from a project. Even though I am notoriously flexible about grammar,
> I still
> cannot bring myself to title the procedure "Add or remove a user to
> project" or Add or remove a user from a project." This appears to
> be a bug
> in the English language :-)
>
> What would you call this combo procedure? Does anybody have an
> elegant way
> to resolve the preposition problem? (To vs. From)
>
> Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com