Re: Is this too Offensive for a manual?

Subject: Re: Is this too Offensive for a manual?
From: "Christopher Burd" <cburd -at- catchword -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:34:59 -0800

Claire Philpott wrote:

"I am editing a software manual with a target audience of users who are
responsible for managing meter readers. This management process uses the
various reports and records maintained by the software.

There are some phrases used in reference to the meter readers that make
me balk at including them. For example:

Arising from incompetent, lazy or crooked meter readers..."

Assuming that your edits are going to be passed back to the author or to a
manager, this seems like an easy one. Is the language appropriate? I doubt
it, but I don't actually know. Is itquestionable? Of course it's
questionable - this thread proves that - and so it's something you should
flag for the client. If they want to overrule you, they'll overrule you, and
you'll have found out something useful about your client's perception of
appropriate tone. I strongly doubt that you would be disrespected for
raising the issue. On the other hand, if you let it go by and it turned out
that the client management regarded it as an embarrassing error, then you
would look very bad indeed.

Cheers,

Chris Burd
Catchword Information Design Ltd.