RE: Montana & Wyoming Jobs

Subject: RE: Montana & Wyoming Jobs
From: "Stitzel, Ken" <kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:48:40 -0700

Probably few are seriously considering Wyoming, but I visit there
intermittently, living not too far over the border in slightly lower and
less windy Fort Collins, Colorado.

Southern Wyoming is regarded as windy and cold, but I love the scenic
beauty. Truly on the _high_ plains with some mountains thrown in. Lots of
antelope, jackelope, etc.

Most of the high-techish jobs I have heard of are in the southeastern cities
of Cheyenne or Laramie, both of which aren't too far from the more
"civilized" regions of the Denver, Colorado/Front (St)Range area. Cheyenne
seems to be adding a steady smattering of high-tech companies.

Not that I've been diligent about looking, but I've think I've seen a tech
writing job or two advertised in Cheyenne in the last few years--almost on a
par as the Denver area market, which has been quite dry.

I also know of someone else who wrote operating procedures at a remote power
plant, conveniently located near her tiny ranch. (There is a huge coal
industry in Wyoming, with at least 100 coal trains a day pouring out of the
vast strip mines on the eastern plains, where the land is being raped on a
massive scale to keep our lights on and computers running.)

If you can land a job in somplace like Jackson Hole, so much the better! :)

Friday thought: If you get sick of high-tech/white-collar stuff, you can
always get more honest (and fairly high-paying) work by applying with one of
the railroads running all those coal trains. I know a couple of people who
have taken this route!

Ken Stitzel
Synergetics, Inc. for ITC-NRCS-USDA
Fort Collins, CO