Question on Framemaker footnotes for the experts here

Subject: Question on Framemaker footnotes for the experts here
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:15:22 -0500

Folks,

I just ran across this in a PageMaker newsgroup and thought someone here would probably be able to solve this guy's problem, so I told him I'd post it here:

I know this is a pagemaker group, but I'm getting desperate, and the problem might be one that's common to both systems.

Here it is:

I'm working on Layout for the California State
University history Journal, which means footnotes. Lots and lots of
footnotes.
Now most papers are coming out fine, but some are doing somethign
weird, and I have no idea why. When I import them, the footnote
numbering changes. For example, if the footnote was 18, it's
renumbered tp 189, and then the footnote at the bottem of the page
goes: 18, then right before the text of the footnote, there's a
superscript 9. The situation seems to be that the main footnote is
going from one to whatever the total number of footnotes, but every
page is ALSO keeping track of hte footnotes on the page. I.E., if you
have five footnotes on the page, that would go from 6-10, what you'll
get will be 60,71,82,93,104. At the bottem, you'll get 6:
(superscripot) 0, and so one.
Does anyone know what is happening? I've tried the following
changes.
1. Renumbering the footnotes. using the automatic feature, which
doesn't work. 2. Importing in both Word and RTF-- the problem remains the same.

Now the interesting thing is that not all files, not even all word
and RTF files have the same problem, which makes me think there's some
weird formatting problem going on.
I really, REALLY don't want to have to convert to plain text and
manually key in every footnote...so if anyone could help, I'd be very
grateful.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com